Textile and Garment Research Center
BDU is one of the largest universities in Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia having large number of students with more than 50 undergraduate programs and more than 20 graduated programs in (M.Sc.,MA & Ph D). BDU embraced 14 academic units of which 4 Collages, 3 Faculties, 4 Institutes, 2 Academies and 1 School. From these academic units Marine Academy, Land administration and Institute of technology for Textile, Garment and Fashion Design are only academic institutions found under BDU from Ethiopia.
Institute of technology for Textile, Garment and Fashion Design is the only institute in the country responsible for textile/garment education, reserch and community services. On the other hand textile/garment is the Ethiopian Government priority in agriculture –led industrial economic development program of the country. Therefore large contributions are expected from this institute in quality education, reserch and community servers in the field of textile/garment and related areas in order to enhance national economic development. With these aspirations BDU initiated to establish research center under university to accomplish the mission of iOTEX.
Therefore, this article is prepared in order to enable the Center to function in coordination with host institute iOTEX in making use of human resource and facilities from iOTEX and the financial resources from the University and iOTEX also.
The Vision Statement
The vision of Textile and Garment Research Centre (TGRC) is “to be a leading centre of excellence in research, development and technology transfer in textile, garment technologies and fashion designing”.
The Mission Statement
The mission of Textile and Garment Research Centre (TGRC) is
- To support the Ethiopian textile, garment, fashion designing and allied Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) achieve global excellence through the enhancement of human resource capabilities, judicious utilization of fibrous materials and auxiliaries development and application of superior processing technologies, and quality assurance.
- BDU Senate
- President of BDU
- BDU Research and Community Service Vice President
- iOTEX Deputy Scientific Director
- General Assembly
- Research Center Director
- Executive Committee
- Research Groups
- Research Task Force
- Enhance the technological and economic development of the textile and garment sector through concerted and focused R&D effort.
- Develop and transfer technologies for the benefit of textile and garment industries including micro and small and medium enterprises and society as whole.
- Leverage the collective R&D capabilities of Bahir Dar university and related institutions in Ethiopia and Africa region to strengthen the capability of the TGRC.
The Center shall have the following organs: