Education in Ethiopia is expanding at all levels & getting more complex. Hence, ensuring the quality, equity as well as relevance requires effective management & leadership at all levels of the education system. Today, the country’s educational priority gives emphasis to the quality of education. To maintain quality of education, the role of educational planners and managers is immense. From the need assessment results it is clearly observed that different stakeholders spoke out that there are varies vacant positions, which requires graduates with this profession. For instance in Amhara & Oromia regional states, only in one Woreda education Office there is a demand of 13 such professionals each. Especially the ministry of education has clearly identified this gap & launched summer program in this field in various universities.
The Bachelor of Arts Program in Educational Planning and Management at Bahir Dar University been launched for the following rationale drawn from the needs Assessment:
- To produce competent educational planners & managers that can handle leadership responsibilities in a decentralized system of education.
- Fill in the knowledge, skills and attitude (competency) gaps that exist among the educational managers working at various (Region, Zonal, and Woreda) educational offices and schools with different positions
- Satisfy the trained manpower needs of Regions Education Bureaus in the area of educational planning and management that enable them provide quality leadership to various levels of the system
- Link programs like school improvement (SIP), Teacher Development Programs, to be effectively& efficiently implemented and become sustainable through informed leadership development at school level.
- Increase the number and quality of trained school managers and instructional supervisors who can work focusing the school and classrooms as centers of educational change and improvement.
On top of this, there is now a widely agreed upon need to make educational management and leadership professionalized, democratic, and autonomous and empowered. This is possible only through training of well-qualified school managers.
2. General Objectives of the Program
2.1 Program Goals
The program is designed to help candidates develop competencies in planning, organizing, staffing, leading and controlling functions of educational organizations both at micro (organizational/ school level) and macro (Woreda, Zone, Regional and Sectoral) levels as well as to develop research competence in educational management.
The educational planning and management program runs diversified programs to produce professionals and meet the manpower needs of the education sector. Programs of the department are basically designed to professionalize incumbent educational planners and managers that can handle leadership responsibilities in a decentralized system of educational organization and management
2.2 Specific Objectives of the Program
The Educational Planning and Management program has the following objectives:
- Train educational planners, Managers and supervisors, who would assume management positions and responsibilities
- To train educational professionals who can plan educational programs at different levels of the school system and educational organizations
- Produce educational leaders who can work at zone, Woreda, and school levels.
- Prepare educational leaders who can provide instructional leadership for teachers and promote instructional development, curriculum development and staff development.
- Provide pre-service and in -service training programs in school planning, management and leadership.
- Train educational managers who can promote researches in schools with special emphasis on educational policy analysis, planning & supervision.
- Understand & facilitate the implementation of the Ethiopian constitution & laws pertinent to education.
- Conduct research related to school effectiveness and improvement policy, program evaluation and impact studies at different educational levels.
3. Program Requirements
3.1 Admission Requirements:
Applicants for admission to the Bachelor’s degree program in educational Planning and management must satisfy the following criteria:
- Students admitted to this department shall be competent enough and have a diploma in educational management or related teaching fields with a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 2.00 at graduation from an accredited teacher training institutions.
- Teaching or administrative experience not less than two years is required to enroll in the program
3.2 Duration of the Program:
The program is organized to be completed in three years in the regular program and four years in the Extension program. If the student fails to complete the program, within this time frame, for accepted reasons by the academic commission of the institute, the student may be allowed to continue for additional years.
3.3 Graduation Requirements:
In order to be graduated students should successfully finish all the designed courses. Moreover, the candidate is required to obtain:
i. CGPA of at least 2.00 at graduation.
ii. No "F" grade in any course
3.4 Medium of Instruction:
The medium of instruction shall be English.
4. Degree Nomenclature:
The degree conferred shall be:
Degree of Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Educational planning and Management
5. Graduates Profile
Graduates of EdPM will have the following competencies:
- Understand and apply constitutional provisions, educational policies and strategies and related legislations
- Prepare educational plans and project plans
- Planning educational activities at various levels
- Management skills that help promote school effectiveness & improvement
- Mobilizing and promoting higher level participation in the mgt of education
- Initiate and Manage educational innovations and changes
- Apply current technologies in educational management
- Provide instructional leadership in the area of curriculum improvement
- Monitor school improvement and CPD
- Mobilize resources from the local community and other stakeholders.
- Prepare and procure budget
- Apply and manage policies and guidelines of resources utilization
- Exhibit adequate research competence.