Family Name : Yizengaw
Given Name :- Jerusalem Yibeltal
Gender ;- Female
Cell Phone :- +251 911914884
SCHOLARSHIPS & AWARDS
- Received the 2017 Matasa Fellows Network Award, funded by The MasterCard Foundation and IDS, UK.
- Obtained the World Bank R. McNamara Fellowship (WBRSMF) in 2015, Washington DC, USA
- Visiting Scholar at University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA (2015-2016)
- Secured Pre-Thesis competition Award (Canadian Education & Training Awards), Canada (2008)
- Received MA-Thesis Scholarship, Research Institute for Federal Supreme-Court, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (2009)
- BDU research grant (in a group of five) for a Mega-project titled ‘Complementing the Steadily Expanding Access for Education with the Required Quality in the State of Amhara, Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia’ (2019)
- Research grant from Ethiopian Universities Forum for a group project titled ‘Determinants of Education Quality in Public Primary Schools of the State of Amhara: Multilevel Perspectives (2018)
Addis Ababa University (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia)
- PhD in International & Comparative Education awarded in Nov. 2016 at College of Education and Behavioral Sciences, Center for Comparative Education & Policy Studies
- Specialization: International & Comparative Education
- CGPA: 3.67/4.00
- Doctoral Dissertation: Higher Education and Labor Market in Ethiopia: A Tracer Study of Graduate Employment in Engineering from Addis Ababa and BahirDar Universities-Awarded ‘Excellent’
- MA in Curriculum and Instruction, CGPA 3.79/4.00, (Awarded in July, 2008)
- MA Thesis titled “Practices of Curriculum Planning and Development: The Case of Ethiopian Legal Education and Training Reform” Awarded ‘Excellent’
Mekelle University (Mekelle, Ethiopia)
- Higher Diploma in Teaching (Awarded in 2012)
Bahir Dar University (Bahir Dar, Ethiopia)1
- BED in Pedagogical Science with Composite English, (Awarded in June, 2009/10)
- BED in Amharic & English Minor, in advance standing Program (Awarded in July, 2004)
- Diploma (Awarded in April, 2001)
PhD FIELDS STUDIED, ADDIS ABABA UNIVERSITY, ETHIOPIA
- Principles of International and Comparative Education
- International Development Assistance in Education
- Education and National Development in Comparative Perspectives
- Advanced Comparative Qualitative Research
- Higher Education in a Comparative Perspective
- Comparative Quantitative Research Methods
- Multicultural Education in a Comparative Perspective
- Comparative Curriculum
- ADMPS 3012: Qualitative Data Management, Analysis, and Presentation (“QuaD-MAP”)
- ADMPS 3347: International Organizations and Development Education (Involved in ‘The World Class Universities Professional Development Project’).
- EDUC 3100: Introduction to Quantitative Methods: Descriptive & Inferential Statistics.
- Certificate of Participation, World Youth Forum Model of the Arab African Summit 2018, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt.
- Certificate of Contribution, May (2018). Novel Aspiration towards World-class Universities: A Synthesis Paper to Influence Policy and Practice in Ethiopia. 36th Annual International May Conference, Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia.
- Certificate, May (2017). International Development Assistance in Education: Effectiveness of Aid by UNESCO-Ethiopia. 35th Annual International May Conference, Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia.
- Certificate, February (2016), Model International African Union, Howard University, Washington DC, USA
- Certificate, February (2016), University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, USA
- IRB Certificate, September (2015), Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (Citi Program) (2015). (online from Miami University), USA.
- Certificate, December 2010, for the voluntary work given to Tila Borna PLHIV Rehabilitation and Integration Charitable Association, Ethiopia
- Certificate of Participation, June 2009, for the contribution made at the college Mini-media club in Dessie College of Teachers’ Education, Ethiopia.
IT SKILLS & OTHER COMPETENCIES
- Advanced Software Skills: STATA, Nvivo, SPSS, Menedely.
- Diploma in Computer with skills of Ms-Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Adobe, etc.
- Curriculum Planning and Development
- Project Design and Management
- Fundraising and Partnership development
- Driving Skill, Licensed with 2nd level
- Language skills - fluent in English and Amharic
- Cycling and Swimming Skills
- Other skills include: Meeting deadlines, report writing, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, preparing project proposals, Preparing plans and all kinds of reports, analytic and strategic thinker.
MEMBER SHIP & AFFILIATION
- Member of Ethiopian Statistical Association, since 2013
- Family Guidance Association of Ethiopia, since 2010
- Ethiopian Teachers’ Association, since 2007
- Amhara Anti-Fistula Association, since 2014
- AFRICE (Africa for Research International & Comparative Education Society), since 2012
- Board Member for Bahir Dar Journal of Education (BJE), since 2020
- Member of Amhara Scholars Council, since 2018
- Board Member for Elsevier Journal (Humanities and Social Sciences), since 2020
- International Advisory Board ICEA 2021 International Conference, since Sep. 2020
- Advisory Board for Dessie College of Education Journal (DCTE Journal), since 2020
- Bahir Dar University (BDU), Assistant Professor of International and Comparative Education, Courses being taught in MA Program: Introduction to International and Comparative Education, National and global Education Systems, Policy, and Management; Education and Development; Comparative Curriculum and Teaching; International Development Cooperation and Project Management in Education, Globalization and Education. Besides, Project Design and Management, Action research, Secondary School Curriculum, Instructional Technology, Need Assessment & Training Development in Education, Teachers as Reflective Practitioners are some of the courses being taught for under graduate programs.
- Co-founding the PhD Program in International and Comparative Education, Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia
- Worked with the Curriculum Development group for MSc in Instructional Design and Technology Program, BDU
- Worked with the Curriculum Development group for PhD and DED in Educational Leadership and Management, MoE
- Prepared Module, Human Resource Development & Socialization (Vped 7023) for Institute of Technology for Textile, M.Ed. in Textile Technology, iOTEX- BDU.
- Bahir Dar University Promotion Committee, College Level since 2016
- Working Group in Bahir Dar University 5 year (2019-2023) Strategic Plan preparation for Kolela Model Kebele from 2017-2018
- Course Chair Person at College of Education (BDU) since 2017
- Coordinator for External Research and Development Projects (BDU), July 2019 – Feb 28, 2020
- Dessie College of Teachers’ Education, Lecturer of Pedagogical and Psychological courses (2006-2016)
- Courses taught were Action Research, Curriculum Studies, Philosophy of Education, Life Skills Development, General Methods of Teaching, Educational Psychology, Special Needs Education and Practicum (I-III) Courses.
- Head for Gender Office (2008-2010), Dessie College of Teachers’ Education, Ethiopia
- Dessie Paragon College, Assistant Graduate (2004/5-2006) (Full Time)
- Amhara Development Association (ADA), Senior Fund Raiser and Donors’ Relation Officer, Addis Ababa Liaison Office, (2011-2012) (Contract)
SELECTED CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
- Jerusalem, Y. (2018). Prospects of cooperation and integration between Arab African states from the Perspective of Ethiopia. 14th & 15th Nov. 2018, Egypt, Sharm El Sheikh.
- Jerusalem, Y. (2017). International Development Assistance in Education: Aid Effectiveness by UNESCO-Ethiopia, Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia
- Jerusalem, Y. (2015). Graduate Employment, African Studies Program, University Center for International Studies (UCIS), Pittsburgh University, USA. http://www.ucis.pitt.edu/events/taxonomy/term/654
- Jerusalem, Y. (2015). Higher Education and Labor Market Linkage, Institute for International Studies in Education Symposium Serious, Pittsburgh University, USA.http://www.placestogoinpittsburgh.com/events/938737-IISE-Symposium-Lecture-of-Three-Visiting-Scholars-from-Ethiopia-Colombia-and-Taiwan/
- Jerusalem, Y. (2014). Employability: Hard & Soft Skills Development in Ethiopian Universities, AAU, Ethiopia
- Jerusalem, Y. (2013). Consultative Meeting on Girls’ Education and Females Affirmative Action: Hawassa, Ethiopia
- Jerusalem, Y. (2012). Action Research entitled with “How Can I Improve the Students’ Habit of Doing Homework in English Lesson?” With Particular Reference to Entoto Amba General Secondary School Grade12 Students, Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia
- Jerusalem, Y. (2009). Media Utilization of College Teachers: Dessie, Ethiopia
- Jerusalem, Y. (2018) ‘Skills Gaps and Mismatches: Private Sector Expectations of Engineering Graduates in Ethiopia’, IDS Bulletin49. https://bulletin.ids.ac.uk/index.php/idsbo/article/view/3009
- Jerusalem, Y. (2018) Policy Brief: Reshaping Ethiopia’s Higher Education Curriculum to Tackle Youth Unemployment. Institute of Development Studies, Library Road, Brighton BN1 9RE, UK. https://www.ids.ac.uk/publications/reshaping-ethiopias-higher-education-curriculum-to-tackle-youth-unemployment/
- Jerusalem, Y. & Milatwork T. (2020). Early Child hood Care and Education in Ethiopia: A comparative Study of Private and Non-government Centers in Amhara Regional State. www.elsevier.com/locate/ssaho
- Jerusalem, Y. & John C. (2019) (forth coming). Graduate Labor Market in Sub-Saharan Africa: Ethiopian Experience on the Influential Factors of Employment Opportunities among Engineering Graduates
- Jerusalem Y. & Melkamsew A. (2020). Practices and Challenges of School Financial Resource Management Implementation in BahirDar City Administration of Ethiopia: A Comparative Study Between Government and Private Secondary Schools. Cogent Education. DOI: 10.1080/2331186X.2021.1884340. Tayler and Francis Group
- Jerusalem, Y. & Asnake T. (2020). Integration of Service Learning in Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) and Volunteerism in Communities: The Cases of 2018 Summer Season Voluntarism in Amhara Region. Randwick International of Social Science (RISS) Journal Vol. 1, No. 2, July 2020 | Page: 324-336. http://www.randwickresearch.com/index.php/rissj
- Jerusalem, Y. & Asnake T. (2020). The Implementation of United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (2005-2014) in Bahir Dar University: Faculty Impressions. https://www.grin.com/document/583638
- Jerusalem, Y. & Adissie, N. (2021). The status of Entrepreneurship Activities in Ethiopia: A Comparative Study between Tana and Dagmawi-Minilik Sub-cities (Forth Coming). Tayler and Francis Group
- Jerusalem, Y. & Abaynesh, M. (2020) (forth coming). A Comparative Study on Onset of English Language as a Medium of Instruction and Its Effect on Academic Achievement of Grade 10th Students in Some Selected Oromia and Amhara Regional State High Schools
- Jerusalem, Y. (2012). Practices of Curriculum Planning and Development in Higher Education: Ethiopian Perspective. http://www.amazon.com/Jerusalem-Yibeltal/e/B00JNCQACS
- Jerusalem, Y. (2012). The Status of Parental Involvement in Ethiopia: A Case Study with Particular Reference to Minilik Primary School. http://www.amazon.com/Jerusalem-Yibeltal/e/B00JNCQACS
- Jerusalem, Y. & Asnake T. (2013). Management of Campus Diversity: Analysis of US and Nigerian Experiences with Implications in Ethiopia. http://www.amazon.com/Jerusalem-Yibeltal/e/B00JNCQACS
International assistance in education (educational aid), diversity, graduate labor market, youth employment and development, academic achievement, socio-economic problems in education, globalization, quality education, parental involvement in education, gender and educational policies
- African Economic Conference (AEC), 2 – 4 December 2019, Egypt, Sharm El Sheikh
- World Youth Forum, Role: Model Arab Africa Summit (MAAS) delegate, Oct 26th – Nov. 8-2018, Egypt, Sharm El Sheikh.
- Workshop on Youth and Employment Policies in Africa, June 24-29, 2018, Kenya, Nairobi.
- Workshop on Youth Un/employment and Private Sector Growth in Africa, Feb 19-23, 2018 University of Sussex, England, UK.
- African Social, Economic and Civics Affairs, Jan 20-27, 2016 Washington DC, USA
- Building a Career in Comparative, International, & Development Education. Prof. Stephen P. Heyneman. Tuesday 29 Sep. 2015, from 12:00-1:30 p.m., Wesley W. Posvar Hall. University of Pittsburgh, USA.
- The Minor Representation of Blacks. Professor Andrew A. Mellon. November, 2015. University of Pittsburgh, USA.
- The 2nd International conference on population, RH and economic development, MOFED, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Humanitarian Accountability and Partnership (HAP) training (2014), Consortium of Christian Relief and Development Association (CCRDA), Ethiopia.
- Ethiopian knowledge and technology transfer society annual summit, St. Mary University College, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Consultative meeting on girls’ education, industrial development and technological affairs, Hawassa, Ethiopia.
- Enhancing Science- based Development in Africa: Where does Ethiopia stand? By Prof. Gebisa Ejeta, Purdue University, US Science Representative, Obama Administration, 2012, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Society formation of AFRICE-Ethiopia. By Professor Dr. Giovanni Pampanini, Honorary president of AFRICE society (Africa for Research in Comparative Education Society), 2012, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- National Education Package, Ethiopian Economy and Agricultural Affairs (Sep1-21, 2011), Bahir Dar, Ethiopia.
COMMUNITY SERVICES: SOME SELECTED
- Worked with the lower community, i.e., providing counseling service for vulnerable women & Children with HIV/AIDS at Tila Borena Association, South Wollo Region; Borena District
- Worked as social committee member at Dessie college of Teachers’ Education
- Serving as a Reviewer for Journal of Sage (e.g., Sage Open), since 2020
- Serving as a Reviewer for Elsevier (e.g., International Journal of Educational Development, E-Learning and Digital Media, Humanities and Social Sciences)
- Reviewer for Compare Journal, since 2020
- Reviewer for Bahir Dar Journal of Education (BJE), since 2017
- Potential Reviewer for Journal of Educational Studies, since 2019
- Fundraising group for Amhara Scholars Council, since 2020
THESIS SUPERVISION: SAMPLED
- The Implementation of School Improvement Program in Amhara Regional State: A Comparative Study of Some Selected Government and Private Secondary Schools in Bahir Dar City Administration (MA Thesis)
- Graduate youths in Entrepreneurship Activities: A Comparative Study Between Male & Female Graduates (MA Thesis)
- The Contributions of International Non-Governmental Organizations in Improving Primary School Students’ Learning Environment: A Comparative Study between World Vision and SOS in Bahir Dar City Administration (MA Thesis)
- Efficiency of Resource Management Strategies in Private and Public Secondary Schools of Amhara Region (MA Thesis)
- A Comparative Study of User Perspectives between Main stream and Social Media in Enhancing Teaching and Learning. The Case of Secondary Schools in Amhara Region (MA Thesis)
- Assessing Women Empowerment in Ethiopia: A Comparative Study between Bahir Dar and Debre Brihan Universities (MA Thesis)
- Employment Opportunities of Graduates of TVET Colleges: The Cases of Public and Private Institutions in Amhara Region (MA Thesis)
- Practices and Challenges of Technical and Vocational Education in Bahir Dar City Administration
STRONG PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
Dynamic thinker; results driven; forward thinking with a problem solving mentality; Willingness to accept responsibility when delegated; Passionate – approaching life and pushing for positive results with energy and enthusiasm; Driven – consistently putting in focused, single minded efforts in order to achieve objectives; Determined – never giving up, overcoming obstacles, planning and confidently persisting; able to communicate and present confidently, clearly and expressively strong People Management skills.
Enjoy travel, cooking, entertaining friends, driving, swimming, watching films, writing (poems and short stories), cycling, listening music, reading news paper& novels, involving in various social activities, visiting historical sites, enjoying games etc.
- Vinayagum Chinapah (PhD Professor & Head) Institute of International Education, Department of Education, Stockholm University, SE-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden, Phone +468161064 / Mobile +467346604906, Email: email@example.com, www.interped.su.se (PhD Dissertation Main Advisor)
- John C. Weidman, Ph.D., Professor of Higher& International Development Education, Department of Administrative and Policy Studies, University of Pittsburgh, School of Education5910 Wesley W. Posvar Hall, Pittsburgh, PA15260, USA, Phone: +1-412-648 1772, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.education.pitt.edu/people/profile.aspx?f=JohnWeidman (Host University Supervisor)
- Professor Holger Daun, (PhD Professor) Institute of International Education (IIE), Stockholm University, Sweden, email@example.com, Phone +49-30-8385 3581 (Co-advisor of PhD Dissertation)