Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management
ADDIS GEDEFAW (THIRD AND FOURTH CHAPTERS)
AMAN ABDIE (FIRST, SECOND CHAPTER & 4.3 of chapter four)
ZIMBELACHEW MASRESHA (FITH AND SIXTH CHAPTER)
Revised By Addis Gedefaw
BAHIR DAR UNIVERSITY
B. A. DEGREE IN MANAGEMENT
ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND SMALL BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
The main objective of the course is to help students to be able to think like natural born entrepreneurs and equip themselves with the basic skills and knowledge that will enable them to establish and manage their own business.
At the end of the course the students should be able to :
- Explain entrepreneurship and the characteristics of the entrepreneurs.
- Develop basic decision making skill that relate specifically to starting and growing enterprises.
- Understand the basic motivations and strategies of starting anew enterprise and be able to apply this information to themselves and others that may be part of an entrepreneurial team.
- Develop a feasible business plan.
- Import new attitudes, knowledge and skills about entrepreneurs and venture creating process.
This course is designed to expose students to silent aspects of starting a new business and to acquaint them with a peculiar challenges and management decisions faced by owners of small business. It will develop such an entrepreneurial skills as identifying bossiness opportunities, initiating, financing and developing new venture business plans. It also addresses issues of small businesses such as legal aspects, valuation, financing, costing, location, personnel, marketing, and competition, source of funding and constituency service.
To successfully achieve the above stated objectives, the material has covered six chapters;
Chapter I: ENTREPRENEURSHIP -INTRODUCTION
Chapter II: ROLE OF SMALL BUSINESS IN AN ECONOMY
Chapter III: SMALL BUSINESS OWNERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Chapter IV: DEVELOPING A BUSSINESS PLAN
Chapter V: FINDING SOURCE OF FINANCE
Chapter VI: CHALLENGES AND PROBLEMS OF SMALLBUSINESS
The course will be delivered to the target groups through self-study and tutorial.
Students will be allowed to give their comments on:
The course content
Effectiveness of the material: personally, to the tutor or by writing letter directly to the management department.