STEM is an acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics and usually refers to education in one or more of those disciplines. STEM initiatives started as a way to promote education in these related areas so that students would be prepared to study STEM fields in college and pursue STEM-related careers.
To provide a challenging learning environment in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, which maximizes individual potential and ensures students are well-equipped to meet the challenges in the world around them.
To provide competent students with high learning experience, through rigorous and relevant content, that mainly focuses on hands on activity in science, technology, engineering and mathematics laboratories, to be productive and successful citizens by developing a strong work ethic and the higher-level critical thinking skills needed to solve problems in the real world.
Bahir Dar STEM Incubation Center Goals and Objectives
· To increase student interest in STEM areas.
· To increase student achievement among all students in order to prepare graduates to be civically and college and/or career ready.
· To produce critical thinkers, innovators and problem-solvers.
· To connect classroom lessons to real-world problems.
· To increase the number of teachers prepared and delivering integrated STEM education.
· To foster cross-sector partnerships that provide informal learning opportunities
· Training and project advising for talented students.
· Organizing and supporting a variety of school clubs.
· Provision of laboratory based education for school students.
· Provision of short term training for school teachers.
· School based technology park establishment.
· School-University-Industry linkage establishment.
· Assessment and standardization of school education.
· Incubating school students’ project work and creativity.
· Administration of various extracurricular activities to students such as science fairs or Olympiads, aptitude tests and other competitions.
· Summer Outreach program training.
· Provision of media based education to community.