- About Us
- Vice President for Research and Community Service
- የአማርኛ ቋንቋ ማበልጸጊያ ተቋም
- ARCCD Research Center
- Biotechnology Research Institute
- Blue Nile Water Institute
- DSF Research Center
- Energy Research Center
- GIS Research Center
- Institute of Pedagogical and Educational Research
- Tex & Garment Research Center
- Washera Geospace and Radar Science Laboratory
- Entrepreneurship Development and Incubation Center
- Institute of Economic Research
- Research Sites
- BDU TV
President Dr. Baylie Damtie
The President is the chief executive officer of the institution. The president shall be appointed by the Minister of Education or by the head of the appropriate state organ from a short list of nominees provided by the Board.
The candidate president shall have, among others, commendable academic leadership and managerial ability as well as demonstrable commitment to institutional change and development and to the Constitution and government policies.
The President is responsible to:
direct and administer the University with the aim of ensuring the achievement of its mission;
- ensure that the provisions of the Higher Education Proclamation and of other laws applicable to the institution are respected;
- ensure that the institution, in accordance with its enrollment capacity, prepares graduates with competence and professional mix consistent with the needs of the country;
- create and continuously build a conducive institutional environment stimulating learning and research;
- ensure that the institution's research and consultancy activities focus on national priorities;
- ensure that the institution has a capable system of internal leadership and management;
- design and implement, upon ultimate approval by the Board, nomination and appointment systems of officers and academic heads;
- ensure that employment and official positions are achieved through competition and that removal from office is based on performance evaluation, disciplinary matters and end of tenure of office alone.
- ensure that policies, directives and procedures of the institution are designed in conformity with pertinent laws and government policies;
- inform periodically the Board, government and the public about the state of the institution;
- build and maintain a reliable safety and security system that protects life and property in the premises of the institution;
- represent the institution in all its dealings with third parties;
- open and operate bank accounts in the name of the institution;
- delegate, as may be necessary, his/her powers and responsibilities to the vice presidents and appropriate heads of academic units;
- discharge such other responsibilities as may be given to him/her by the establishing law of the institution and by the Board.
The President shall devote his/her full working time to the requirements of his/her office; and shall be remunerated appropriately for his services in the form of basic salary and other benefits.
In the case of absence from duty, the president shall delegate, as a standard practice, the academic vice president and, in the case of simultaneous absence of the said vice president, any of the other vice presidents.